There is so many threads on this list that are only about English Wikipedia
like it is the centre of the world... Why other communities are able to
keep their internal discussions internal and not this community?

Jean-Philippe Béland
Vice President, Wikimedia Canada

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Pax Ahimsa Gethen <
list-wikime...@funcrunch.org> wrote:

> The people whose opinion should most matter in determining whether a
> comment is sexist are women. Not men, and not non-binary transmasculine
> people like myself.
>
> I support and echo Emily and Molly's earlier comments on this thread:
>

> Also, in case it's not clear from my forwarding of Emily's/Keilana's
>> message, I endorse it completely and am glad she made her points.
>>
>> I agree fully with Keegan and Sydney. I don't think the concerns that this
>> will be overtaken by bots are well-founded; that was planned for in the
>> document outlining the competition, and editors involved in this project
>> will be subject to all expectations of normal editors (including not
>> mass-producing poor-quality content).
>>
>> As for Keegan's original post, there is a major difference between
>> describing an email as sexist versus labeling the sender as a sexist. I
>> believe Keegan meant the former, and I'm not sure anything he's said can
>> be
>> described as an attack on the sender so much as a valid criticism of poor
>> wording.
>>
>> – Molly (GorillaWarfare)
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 11:44 PM, GorillaWarfare <gorillawarfarewikipedia@
>> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Emily (User:Keilana) is having some trouble getting mails through to this
>> list, so I'm forwarding this on her behalf in case it's an issue with her
>> email address.
>>
>> "This is some sexist bullshit. You really think we can't handle some
>> stubs? And do you really, really think that people won't try to AFD
>> everything that comes out of this contest as it is?
>>
>> I'm sick and tired of this idea that we have to hold shit about women to a
>> higher standard than literally anything else. The encyclopedia isn't going
>> to break because, god forbid, some inexperienced newbies write a bunch of
>> stubs.
>>
>> And so what if people think we're paying lip service to women? It's better
>> than being seen as being actively hostile to women, which, as I shouldn't
>> have to remind you, is our reputation as it currently stands."
>>
>> – Molly (GorillaWarfare)
>>

> - Pax aka Funcrunch
>

> On 10/16/17 10:11 AM, Todd Allen wrote:
>
>> Is that still going on?
>>
>> I'm against sexism and all for improving coverage of women on Wikipedia.
>> I've helped to encourage events toward that end, and they've turned out
>> pretty well. We now have quite a few more articles, for example, on women
>> involved as pioneers in outdoor sports and activities because of them.
>>
>> But I'm unsure how asking the question "Is it wise to offer money in
>> exchange for creating large numbers of articles without consideration of
>> quality?" or "Will this effort have the intended result?" is sexist. The
>> same question would apply if the proposed articles were about Russian
>> literature or asteroids. It is not sexist to ask the question just because
>> of what the subject happens to be.

> [...]

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter