Everyone,

The past six months have been a complex and troubling time for our
community in France. Let me be absolutely clear, with no confusion or
ambiguity, that the Wikimedia Foundation condemns harassment. We take all
harassment claims seriously, investigate them promptly, and take the
appropriate action to enforce our policies whenever necessary. My goal here
today is to provide more information about the actions of the Wikimedia
Foundation, the principles to which we adhere, and the situation in which
our movement finds itself.

As many of you know, there have been months of discussion within the French
Wikimedia community, independent committees and governance bodies, and the
Wikimedia Foundation about the governance and operations of Wikimédia
France. During this time, we have seen growing tensions between a number of
the former leaders of Wikimédia France and some members of the French
Wikimedia community. This situation created great strain on the French
community, former and current staff of Wikimédia France, and concerned
Wikimedia volunteers around the world. Much of this was documented by
community members[1] and in the press.[2] Over the past months the
Foundation has received formal and informal complaints alleging harassment
and other harmful behaviour, and we have enforced existing policies
whenever applicable.

Recently, an individual associated with our movement published an essay
about the events in France on the blogging site Medium and shared that
essay with this list. It contained a number of deeply concerning
allegations of harassment. Let me first address the most troubling claims
of the recent essay—those regarding the Foundation’s handling of
allegations against the Wikimedia Foundation’s current Board Chair.

In May of 2017 the Wikimedia Foundation was informed, in a letter and for
the first time, that the then-Executive Director of Wikimédia France was
alleging claims of harassment against the current Board Chair of the
Wikimedia Foundation, dating back to his tenure as former Chair of
Wikimédia France. In this letter the Executive Director described a number
of interactions with the Foundation’s Board Chair when he was Chair of
Wikimédia France, and went on to accuse him of using his position as
Foundation Board Chair to to turn the Wikimedia Foundation’s sentiment
against the French chapter.

Contrary to the assertion in the Medium essay, while the former Wikimédia
France Executive Director’s letter detailed tense and disagreeable
interactions between the two individuals, it did not characterize those
interactions as sexual harassment. Also contrary to the essay’s assertions,
the Wikimedia Foundation took immediate and appropriate action after
receiving the complaint.

The Wikimedia Foundation, under clear direction from our Board, responded
promptly:

   - We notified the Vice Chair and Board Governance Chair immediately
   after receiving the then-Executive Director’s letter.
   - Under their direction and supervision, we promptly hired expert French
   legal counsel to conduct an investigation on this issue.
   - The Foundation Board Chair was informed of the investigation and
   recused from all relevant discussions. The Board Chair was also recused
   from any discussion regarding Wikimédia France and the French Wikimedia
   community, including any participation in funding decisions.
   - The investigation by the experts found that the French chapter’s
   Executive Director’s detailed statements of facts, in addition to not being
   characterized by her as sexual harassment, also did not support a finding
   of sexual harassment.
   - Based on the information provided, French counsel also looked at
   whether the allegations supported a finding of “moral” harassment,
   ultimately concluding that they did not.
   - The findings were conveyed to the then-chair of the board of Wikimédia
   France. The chapter leadership was asked on more than one occasion if it
   had any additional evidence or wished to further discuss the conclusions.
   No additional information was provided.
   - Under these circumstances, the Board of the Wikimedia Foundation found
   no merit to the charges.

*As has been repeatedly stated, the Foundation remains fully committed to
reviewing and investigating additional information, if presented, of sexual
or other harassment allegedly committed by any Wikimedia Foundation staff
or board member. We fully condemn harassment in the Wikimedia movement.*

The essay in Medium also references experiences of a number of former
Wikimédia France Board members who reportedly left their posts because of
alleged harassment from French Wikimedia community members. In the majority
of these cases, the Wikimedia Foundation has not received complaints and
has no further information about these allegations.

We are aware that some people working at the Foundation for some months
have received comments from a number of community members through informal
channels about alleged intra-community harassment. These included
complaints and allegations of harassment made against the former Wikimédia
France Executive Director and then-Board Chair by Wikimédia France staff
and community members, as well as counter-complaints from former Wikimédia
France board members against members of the French community. In each
instance of which we are aware, the individual raising the complaint was
directed to the Wikimedia Foundation’s Support and Safety team, which is
trained and equipped to independently investigate and assess these matters,
particularly where members of the larger Wikimedia community are concerned.

In total, the Foundation received roughly a dozen of these complaints. Each
of these complaints received by the Foundation was investigated and
responded to promptly, enforcing the relevant anti-harassment policies
whenever appropriate. In some cases, and when appropriate, our response
resulted in content (for example, content that identified Wikimedia
community members who guarded their anonymity) being removed from public
websites or the Foundation contacting users who posted inappropriate
material. In others, we found that while certain comments at times crossed
the lines of civility, the actions did not meet the threshold of sanction
under our policies or constitute intentional or sustained patterns of
harassment.

As a cumulative result of these complaints, the Wikimedia Foundation has
recommended to Wikimédia France that they take immediate steps to implement
a friendly space policy. At the chapter’s exceptional September general
assembly, the motion to develop and implement a friendly space policy
passed with overwhelming support, with 98% of the membership voting in
favor.[3] The Wikimedia Foundation has offered Wikimédia France our
assistance with this policy’s composition and implementation.

We are committed to working with the new Wikimédia France conseil
d’administration (governing board) to support the French community as they
work to address and resolve these and other outstanding issues. The
Wikimedia Foundation and the new leadership of Wikimédia France are already
cooperating to address the governance-related concerns raised by the
volunteer Funds Dissemination Committee in the first half of 2017. As part
of this work, we have encouraged them to review how they will independently
handle claims of harassment in the future. The Wikimedia Foundation and
Wikimédia France share a common goal: a healthy, welcoming, respectful,
inclusive Wikimedia community in France.

I know I am not alone in my dismay for how these events have unfolded. Many
dedicated, good-faith members of the French community, including current
community members and present and former Wikimédia France board and staff
members, have experienced distress and anxiety over recent months. Those
outside of the community have watched with dismay as our peers and friends
have found themselves disoriented, distressed, alienated, or at odds with
one another. And yet we also know that many in France now feel a renewed
sense of purpose for building the healthy and welcoming community we all
desire.

Situations such as the recent events in France provide us with an
opportunity to learn from the past in order to do better in the future. We
have seen this time and again in our communities, as organizations
(including the Wikimedia Foundation) have emerged from governance and other
challenges stronger, with deepened commitments to openness, collaboration,
and humility.

Today is another such opportunity.

Katherine

[1] https://www.mathisbenguigui.eu/wikimedia-timeline/