On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 3:35 AM, geni <geni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 November 2017 at 22:12, Samuel Patton <spat...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > If you have thoughts on this design, please share them here. There will
> be
> > more opportunities for you to weigh in if this banner variant looks
> > promising enough to keep testing.
> >
> > Regards and sincere thanks for all you do.
> >

> Covers up half the periodic table on:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table?banner=dsk_p1_
> lg_right10&country=US&force=1
>
> In fact lets just face it this thing does not like tables:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_400mm_lens?banner=
> dsk_p1_lg_right10&country=US&force=1
>
> It overlaps longer equations (see around the Efficient methods section):
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approximations_of_%CF%80?
> banner=dsk_p1_lg_right10&country=US&force=1
>
> I suspect it also breaks with lilypond but I don't have an example to hand

It would be more accurate to say that it overlaps content that overflows
the 'content' div, whatever the reason for the overflow. And it may lead to
overflow in more situations, since it reduces the area available to the
content div. The usual horizontal scrolling that happens for content that
overflows the content div doesn't work right with the banner in place
because the scrolling takes effect on the body element rather than the
content div. Using the close button on the banner does seem to return these
pages to the status quo.

I see the Timeless skin has a vaguely similar issue (without the banner).
That skin does apply the horizontal scrolling to the content div, but the
scrollbar is way at the bottom of the page instead of at the bottom of the
screen.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer