Great to hear!

I have one caveat with it though - if I understand it correctly, it is
currently in a man-in-the-middle position between the visitor and WMF,
as it provides its own self-signed https certificate and performs
various URL rewriting on the traffic to change the URLs to the onion
domain.

Isn't it more secure, then, to just use Tor to access the main
(clearnet) Wikipedia, since it enforces correct HTTPS?

Using Tor <-> clearnet WMF (HTTPS) still provides:
1) censorship circumvention;
2) location anonymity;
3) opaque encryption between the visitor and the WMF;

The #3 is missing if the onion service is not operated by the WMF
itself.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do think it's very good that such effort is taking place - but we need
to make sure there's no weak points security-wise that aren't
communicated prominently enough to the users.

Best,
Yury.