Hi Renee and all,

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 17:49:39 +0000
Renée Bagslint <reneebagsl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A recent Signpost piece, "Good faith gibberish",
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2017-11-24/Humour&oldid=811658169
> chooses to mock the claimed incomprehensibility of certain Wikipedia
> articles, two of which are mathematics articles by the same author.  There
> are three things which, taken together make this a matter of concern to the
> wider community.
>
> Firstly, the article is by an account self-described "as a WP Visiting
> Scholar, and Wikipedian in Residence".  It is thereby flagged as an
> emanation of the movement.
>
> Secondly, the alleged incomprehensibility of the mathematics articles,
> which are correct and succinct, is entirely attributable to the ignorance
> of the Signpost's author and editors.  Even those completely ignorant of
> mathematics could have used Google Books to discover that the
> Federer--Morse Theorem is not, as suggested, a hoax.
>
> Thirdly, the author selected for mockery in this way, user:r.e.b., is not
> only an expert, but an extremely distinguished mathematician, at a level
> equivalent to a Nobel prize-winner in another discipline.  He has written
> numerous articles on mathematics and I have long thought that Wikipedia
> scarcely deserves his work.  Now I'm sure of it.

First of all note that I appreciate r.e.b's contributions and thank him for
them.

That put aside: that article is clearly marked as "humour" based on the URL.
Should it still be taken seriously? Furthermore, how much do Signpost humour
articles reflect the official stance of the Wikimedia Foundation? Finally, note
that it is expected that one's work will face some criticism, either valid or
false, and one should learn to cope with it. I've written about it here -
http://shlomifishswiki.branchable.com/Encourage_criticism_and_try_to_get_offended/
and here -
http://shlomifishswiki.branchable.com/Never_Try_to_Please_Everyone/ .

I'm not saying that signpost piece is commendable, but it should be taken in
proportion.