María Sefidari <ma...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> […]

> Mike, as Cristian says - the Wikimedia movement has a history of trying to
> balance the safety concerns of volunteers in not-so-free regions (to put it
> mildly...) with having them contribute to our projects and events. We
> *need* these contributions, these voices - but we can sometimes be
> hard-pressed to understand the challenges associated. Esra'a is not
> requesting "security by obscurity" - she already has had ample media
> coverage and recognition, as can be read in the announcement. She has even
> attended and given a (wonderful) keynote at Wikimania a few months ago. We
> *can* successfully figure out together how to balance having her voice
> present while respecting her safety needs.

> […]

You are conflating two aspects here that are not congruent
(IMHO).

If someone is requesting privacy, that is to be honored by
default (there are exceptions like Essjay or Amina Abdallah
Arraf al Omari, but I don't see that applicable here).  It
is an individual choice to determine what one wants to share
about himself, and that decision is not up for discussion
(as long as there is no deception involved).

If someone (or an organization) is requesting privacy "for
safety reasons", then that argument can be analyzed,
criticized and doubted.  To parade someone in front of
several hundred strangers with the knowledge that a single
recognition would endanger that one's safety is negligent at
best (or, for a US-based organization: potentially costly).

Tim