Some reactions to welcome bot or welcomes are a little bit "exaggerated"
sometimes. it's just a small red color spot in a corner. Two seconds to process
it, more time to complain about it.
I study user activities and sometimes I leave welcome messages here and there.
99.5% of the time is because they have some sort of activities on the platform.
it happened to me one or two times per year that some users deleted a welcome
message I have left here or there. A scenario that occurred more than once is
wikidata and old-term users that have some issues with the fact that even if
they don't want to be part to it, they do have edits indirectly on such
platform. Sometimes they spent more time writing in the object why they are
deleting it that simply ignoring it.
I stick to the fact that with "side" platforms 95% of the users don't care, 4%
reply interested or thank for the welcome or similar, and 1% (or less) have
issues. Such 1% are mostly long term or established users. In the general
framework, I think that leaving such templates from real users to people with
some activities is potentially useful, at least to establish a connection.
I also have no direct experience of anyone complaining about bot messages on
other "side" platforms, I know about users discovering less "common" wiki such
as some of the "Asian" ones, but they are kinda amused. Such bot welcome
message arrives when you do something to log in, such as opening one of their
articles for example. Or maybe you use a computer when someone else have opened
them recently.
We can write a meta policy to leave welcome message only with people with
edits, but in the end someone could point out that informing people before they
do anything if they actually entered the platform is a good strategy (why wait
they have to do something? maybe they need help). On some wiki you get the
message as soon as you log in, for example frwiki if I remember with a test
from a friend. Why is that different?
The core issue is to be sure that the welcome message has a part in one or two
main world languages, and a link to the embassy page. That's the occasion to
make it smarter not to remove it totally, we have the expertise to do that. For
example you leave the en-N welcome message to people who have edits on
enwikipedia and so on.

Alessandro

    Il Venerdì 29 Dicembre 2017 10:27, K. Peachey <p858sn...@gmail.com> ha