From: Stephen LaPorte <slapo...@wikimedia.org>
Date: Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 2:23 AM
Subject: [Publicpolicy] Update on FISA 702 reauthorization
To: Publicpolicy Group for Wikimedia <publicpol...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hello All,

Earlier this month, the Wikimedia Foundation, along with a coalition
of 43 civil liberties, civil rights, and transparency organizations,
signed a letter urging Congress to reform Section 702 of the Foreign
Intelligence Surveillance Act, the law that allegedly authorizes the
mass surveillance challenged in our lawsuit, Wikimedia Foundation v.
National Security Agency. In the letter, we urged Congress to oppose a
straightforward reauthorization of the law and to support meaningful
reforms.

On January 11th, the U.S. House of Representatives quashed the
opportunity for those reforms by voting to reauthorize Section 702
with minimal changes. The bill then went to the U.S. Senate for
further consideration. Despite opposition in the Senate from both
major political parties, on January 16th, a filibuster to block the
bill narrowly failed. Yesterday, the bill cleared the Senate, and it
was signed into law today.

Although we are deeply disappointed in this result, the Wikimedia
Foundation will continue to fight for user privacy, including in
Wikimedia Foundation v. NSA. We will keep you updated on further
developments.

Best,
Stephen

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Director

NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and
ethical reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer
for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity. For more on what this means, please see our legal
disclaimer.