On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 2:42 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am considering establishing a Discourse installation myself and offering
> it to host Wikimedia-l or its successor

There are already two experimental Discourse instances:
alternative (see https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Discourse )
https://discourse-mediawiki.wmflabs.org/ for trialing it as a developer
support channel (see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discourse )
The latter has more movement these days (it's seen as a more pressing
problem to solve, also it's a semi-official WMF project) but in any case
the technology side of introducing Discourse is well covered; it's the
social side (finding a small or new mailing list, convince them to move to
Discourse, collect feedback) that needs work.