Here is a tweet describing a problem with social media recommendation systems:

"The algorithm I worked on at Google recommended Alex Jones' videos
more than 15,000,000,000 times, to some of the most vulnerable people
in the nation." - @gchaslot

What should the penalty for that be? A fine? Enough for the Foundation
to hire all my Google Summer of Code students to add pronunciation
remediation to Wiktionary?

If you think that's bad, most of the recommendation system damage is
from the vanity of fame instead of political schemers. Almost all of
the post-Myspace social media had a bias towards usually undeserved
fame. Luckily, the damage is merely memetic and can be repaired with
literature. But the schemers turn into fraud cases, so they get more
attention than they should relative to the larger, general problem.

Best regards,
Jim