Le 27/02/2018 à 12:42, Vi to a écrit :
I see Amir's points, which are pretty reasonable, but I fear this would
suit languages with a significant presence on the web.

Among them I agree with points 1, 3 and 4 while I'm not sure about #2 "creating
basic encyclopedic terminology and style in that language", if we want to
preserve a language we shouldn't create a thing.
I think that here the term "preserving" is misinterpreted. It's not about stuff it to put it in a nothing-should-move-anymore museum. It's about preserving actual use of diverse language as diachronic phenomena, ie as evolving objects.

On this regard, even largest language communities are seeing their use changing at an increasing pace, as recognize institutions like Académie française (not quite your average neologismophilic neo-punk band).

I think it's also good to recall that there are places where there is not yet a a high bandwith reliable internet (or internet at all), but that computer are accessibles. For example Libraries Without Borders[2] are providing computer boxes, which do include some Wikimedia material if I'm not mistaken. Although I'm not enough informed on their actions, but it would interesting to be in contact with them if it's not already the case. Making encyclopedia shared through travelling USB key would be surely possible for example, but that just a sketched idea.

On the other hand, should we recall that we are losing language diversity at an increasing pace?[3] And of course when a language die, it's whole culture which go with it like a bush medicine engraved in aboriginal vocabulary.[4] So really it's not about bringing knowledge to communities with less geopolitcally influence, it's about giving mankind a chance to loose as few as possible of valuable knowledge by diffusing it omnidirectly.

[1] Parce qu’il doit être tout à la fois le greffier de l’usage, le témoin de l’histoire et celui du changement le Dictionnaire de l’Académie aura donc presque doublé de volume. En consacrant ainsi un très grand nombre de mots nouveaux, l’Académie répond aux exigences du temps mais elle se montre fidèle aussi à sa tradition. http://www.academie-francaise.fr/la-langue-francaise-langue-de-la-modernite-seance-publique-annuelle
[2] https://www.librarieswithoutborders.org/
[3] http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/unesco-half-worlds-languages-will-disappear-by-2100-1498154
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_medicine

By the way I was wondering my concerns about cultural colonization may be
addressed -for wikis which has some contents (let's say at least 1000
articles)- by starting expanding existing articles instead of translating
new ones. This would solve the problem of choosing what to translate though
would leave problems about the perspective contents are created.

Vito