From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Vi to
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:43 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Paid translation

I see Amir's points, which are pretty reasonable, but I fear this would suit
languages with a significant presence on the web.

Among them I agree with points 1, 3 and 4 while I'm not sure about #2 "creating
basic encyclopedic terminology and style in that language", if we want to
preserve a language we shouldn't create a thing.

By the way I was wondering my concerns about cultural colonization may be
addressed -for wikis which has some contents (let's say at least 1000
articles)- by starting expanding existing articles instead of translating new
ones. This would solve the problem of choosing what to translate though would
leave problems about the perspective contents are created.

Vito