Hello Cornelius, Nicole, and Daniela,

Thank you for sharing these reflections.

After reading this document, I have a few questions.

1. The document recommends that WMCON evolve into a conference that focuses
on strategy and governance. My guess is that Wikimedia has tens of
thousands of contributors who are not members of affiliates, and it seems
to me that strategy and governance conference should include significant
participation from online contributors who may or may not be associated
with an affiliate. Would you agree with that, or do you envision WMCON
becoming more narrowly focused specifically on offline strategy and
governance such that representation from the broader online community is
not necessary?

2. If WMF were to adopt your recommendations about narrowing the focus of
the conference, then would it be reasonable to place WMCON immediately
before Wikimania and/or the MediaWiki Developer Conference, in the same
venue or a smaller venue in the same local area, for the purpose of
reducing the combined costs of the conferences, total amount of time that
people spend traveling, and the environmental impacts from travel?

3. I agree that there can be good value in regional and thematic
conferences. I also get the impression that WMF is more willing to support
regional and thematic events financially than they were in the past. Are
there learning patterns, case studies, or other information from WMCON that
you would especially recommend for study by organizers of regional and
thematic conferences, organizers of Wikimania, and staff or committee
members for the WMF Conference and Events Grants program
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Conference>?

4. The report says, "We experienced that most of those who attend the
Wikimedia Conference are highly interested in working together with people
from other affiliates and engaging in international collaboration. However,
international collaboration per se is rarely part of affiliates’ budgets,
or is even cut from grant proposals." I wonder whether greater emphasis on
fostering the development of more thematic organizations
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_thematic_organizations>, and user
groups <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_user_groups> with
thematic goals, would be helpful. Would you recommend that WMF and the
Affiliations Committee consider what measures could be taken to foster the
creation and development of thematic organizations and
thematically-oriented user groups? Also, do you have any recommendations
for the WMF grants staff and grants committees which you think could foster
the development of international cooperation in ways that lead to specific,
measurable, and timely benefits that provide good value for money?

Thank you for your work on WMCON. I have read a number of WMCON reports
from 2015 onward and I have consistently found them to be interesting and
valuable.

Pine