Hoi,
Yes, MediaWiki is used for 290+ languages but that does not imply that it
is developed with these other languages in mind. The project descriptions
are firmly with the best known (ie English) implementation in mind and it
is the use and the users of the most used English implementation that
determine its project descriptions. One other way to determine it is the
lack of support for everything but Wikipedia. Wikidata is a success because
it is the German chapter who largely determines how it is developed. Then
again we are not seeing Wikidata improve all of Wikipedia, something it
could do with the association of blue and red links with Wikidata items.
Probably another cultural distance..

The notion that many people in the US are outside the powerstructures ...
It is not only about the US and, as an argument it only indicates how much
people outside the US and even more people not with a proper understanding
are marginalised.
Thanks,
      GerardM