On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 4:02 AM, Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Traditional female professions such as "nurse" or even "nun" have lower
> percentages female than traditional male professions such as football
> players have percentages male.

Nun doesn't have 100% female? Hmm, yes, http://tinyurl.com/y9vx6ckl
currently shows 5 entries with that having gender "male". Although at a
quick glance three seem to have an incorrect occupation, perhaps picked up
from a family member mentioned in their Wikipedia article, and two seem to
have the wrong gender specified in Wikidata.

I don't know where
https://denelezh.dicare.org/gender-gap.php?kpi=humans&year=any&year_start=1800&year_end=2018&country=0&occupation=191808&project=0&threshold=10000&dump=2018-04-30&sort=total
finds the other 51 entries it classifies as "male", unless maybe they've
all been fixed since the last dump.

> Yesterday I attended a Pieter Pourbus painting exhibition in Gouda and the
> booklet states in the opening paragraph "He married the daughter of the
> famous painter Lancelot Blondeel". My companion drily remarked "Didn't she
> have a name?". I think you will find that such sentences are all over
> Wikipedia, in all sorts of biography leads.

On the other hand, enwiki's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons#Privacy_of_names
specifically suggests caution in naming family members of the article's
topic in favor of privacy.

[...] Consider whether the inclusion of names of living private individuals
who are not directly involved in an article's topic adds significant value.

The presumption in favor of privacy is strong in the case of family members
of articles' subjects and other loosely involved, otherwise low-profile
persons. The names of any immediate, former, or significant family members
or any significant relationship of the subject of a BLP may be part of an
article, if reliably sourced, subject to editorial discretion that such
information is relevant to a reader's complete understanding of the subject.
I don't know whether the wife/daughter in your specific example is/was a
"otherwise low-profile person", but it does apply "all over Wikipedia", at
least the English-language version. I also don't know whether other
languages have a similar rule.