We have Terms of Use that require disclosure when people are involved in
paid editing. Often paid editing occurs on obscure topics and we are unable
to closely vet the volume of paid editing that is occurring, this means a
lots of promotional content can and does slip through and make us look bad.

Trying to vet this volume of content also distracts good faith editors from
work on more notable topics. Additionally this counts as covert advertising
which in certain subject areas such as health is not permitted by
organizations such as the FDA in the USA. Additional issues include that
the accounts involved are often socks and the content in question is often
"copy and pasted".

The same argument could be applied to banned editors, if they are producing
good content why do we not allow banned editors to edit using socks?

James

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipe...@zog.org>
wrote:

> Shouldn't articles be judged independently of who exactly wrote them and
> for what reason?
>
> If an article reads well, has good content, is sourced, neutral etc, what's
> the issue exactly?
>
> On 24 May 2018 at 12:28, Gnangarra <gnanga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I find this rather disturbing that Airtasker accepts adds for people
> > wanting to have articles written, on wikipedia.
> >
> > The person writing the add is asking someone to violate WMF terms &
> > Conditions as you can some of the respondents are indicating that they do
> > this regularly
> >
> > https://www.airtasker.com/tasks/copywriter-for-a-
> > wikipedia-article-10031171/
> >
> > Would it  be prudent for the WMF legal to contact Airtasker, highlight
> our
> > T&Cs and have them block such requests from being posted.  Airtasker
> > themselves also gets paid when people write Wikipedia articles
> >
> > --
> > GN.
> > Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
> > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com
> > Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), *Never Again:
> > Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8*, UWAP, 2017.
> > Order
> > here
> > <https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/never-again-
> > reflections-on-environmental-responsibility-after-roe-8>
> > .

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian