Hey Yaroslav and Asaf,

From the SDC team perspective, I think it would definitely be preferable
for such a tool to include/anticipate the need for structured data on
Commons, or default to filling in Depicts and/or other structure data
fields. Building more tools which generate categories by default would
definitely be a bit counter-productive (and hard on multilingual
contributors). One option, might be designing such a tool to work with
Artworks and other unique objects (like photographs) already on Wikidata,
and then have it prepared to hook up with the  Wikibase/Structured data
features that will go live on Commons in the fall.

Cheers,

Alex

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM, Asaf Bartov <abar...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Absolutely; I wanted to know if such a tool perhaps already exists.  If one
> does not, then definitely, if we develop a tool, it should look to the
> future and be based on Structured Data on Commons already!
>
>    A.
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM Yaroslav Blanter <ymb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think it is pretty similar to what we have built in Wikidata, Do
> > Structured Commons folks want to comment?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Asaf Bartov <abar...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, folks.
> > >
> > > It occurs to me there are tens or hundreds of thousands of images
> donated
> > > en masse (GLAM etc.) that are only categorized as "image from X
> > collection"
> > > or "Files donated by X", i.e. essentially uncategorized by content.
> > >
> > > This obviously greatly reduces the likelihood of discoverability and
> > > re-use.  But it's hard to find such files, and the massive categories
> > > (thousands of files, often) don't make organizing the work easy.
> > >
> > > I'm think of a gamified interface -- à la Wikidata Game -- that would
> > let a
> > > volunteer (after OAuth identification) pick a category (from a pre-fed
> > list
> > > of massive categories of donated files) and show one photo from the
> > > category that has only that category listed (i.e. has no categorization
> > by
> > > content), and let the volunteer type (with auto-complete, like HotCat)
> > some
> > > appropriate categories and hit Save, and the categories would be added,
> > and
> > > the next file shown.
> > >
> > > (Optionally, a second layer of verification could be added, where
> > > volunteers would [also] be invited to vet or change previous
> volunteers'
> > > categorization, and actual change to categories on Commons would only
> > take
> > > place after 2 (or N) users approved the categories.  I'm not at all
> sure
> > > this is needed, and I think we can start without it and see how it
> goes.)
> > >
> > > So, does something like this exist?  If not, who wants to build it? :)
> > >
> > >    A.

Alex Stinson
GLAM-Wiki Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM