Thanks Maria

The EN community continues to discuss the possibility of posting a banner
targeted to those in Europe in an effort to raise awareness. Still a lot of
work to do and further community support required for this to move forwards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(proposals)#Proposals_for_wording_of_a_neutral_banner

James

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 3:03 PM María Sefidari <msefid...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, which operates
> Wikipedia, the world’s largest online repository of free knowledge, believe
> that the European Union’s proposed copyright directive is a threat to
> essential human freedoms. If passed, it would limit free expression, and
> cause serious harm to collaboration and diversity online.
>
> Over the last few months, the Wikimedia Foundation has been watching
> developments around new proposed copyright laws in Europe very closely.
>
> On June 20, the Legal Affairs Committee of the European Parliament voted to
> support proposed copyright laws that, if enacted, will significantly limit
> the openness of the internet, diminishing the ability of people around the
> globe to access knowledge, while stifling innovation and imposing what we
> believe will be unreasonable costs on new or smaller websites. We expressed
> our opposition to these proposals at the time, and the Wikimedia Foundation
> -- along with many in the Wikimedia movement—advocated against them. We now
> do so again as we approach July 5th, which will be another critical moment
> in the legislative process as the issue comes up for a vote once again.
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation and its projects exist to harness the power of a
> free and open web to make knowledge more accessible for everyone. Our
> mission to create a world where everyone can share in the sum of human
> knowledge requires a web in which all people can freely collaborate to
> create and access knowledge.
>
> This flawed EU copyright proposal contradicts that vision.
>
> Instead of truly modernizing copyright for Europe and promoting everyone's
> participation in information society, the proposal threatens freedom online
> and creates new obstacles to access by imposing new barriers, filters, and
> restrictions.
>
> We are committed to remaining a strong advocate and partner for enabling
> society’s ability to share and curate knowledge in free and open spaces.
>
> Now is the time to stand up for the free and open internet.
>
> Today we, as Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, *unanimously and
> strongly*, urge the European Parliament and Council *to oppose* the
> proposed directive in its current version and stand on the side of the
> people in Europe. Please read the Wikimedia Foundation's statement on EU
> copyright reform
> <
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/06/29/eu-copyright-proposal-will-hurt-web-wikipedia/
> >
> and take action at Changecopyright.org <https://changecopyright.org/>.
>
> On behalf of the Board,
>
> María Sefidari
> Vice Chair of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian