Tom O'Hara,

I foresee several problems with your proposal.

a) The Wikimedia Foundation itself spent a very large amount of money
building something essentially the same which was rejected by the community
and abandoned.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Engine_(Wikimedia_Foundation)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Engine_(Wikimedia_Foundation)>

b) Your proposal is for a proprietary software to be added to the core
Mediawiki software of Wikipedia. The Wikimedia Foundation is notorious for
never using third-party proprietary software.

c) The design is still in the stone age when compared to Bing/Google, so
would not necessarily compete well to attract the target demographic.

d) The search bar at https://www.wikipedia.org/ already has images in a
kind of drop-down search suggestions function, this is nice, but has not
become very popular.

I would actually suggest you go down the route of offering it as an
extension on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Extensions

Warm Regards

Jeremy Lee-Jenkins