> On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 6:37 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We just won a major victory in our battle to keep the internet free [...] Our
>> established positions are
>> against corporate interests.
>
> When the Guardian reported[1] on the recent European copyright campaign, as
> supported by Wikimedia projects, their spin was that it served the
> corporate interests of Facebook, Google and YouTube:
>
> "Google, YouTube and Facebook
> <https://www.theguardian.com/technology/facebook> could escape having to
> make billions in payouts to press publishers, record labels and artists
> after EU lawmakers voted to reject proposed changes to copyright rules that
> aimed to make the tech companies share more of their revenues."

The publishers and record labels are also corporations. I see that our stand is
to be in the side of the “artists”. In the future we should support them to
start collective bargaining and to reach collective agreement with the new
online publishers.

We should do the same with scholars, too: help them to find alternatives to the
scientific publishers. In this EU hasn’t done a great job either, although they
like to promote “open science” (in a close collaboration with the established
publishers).

-Teemu