On 3 August 2018 at 22:12, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> On 2 August 2018 at 02:51, Gregory Varnum <gvar...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your browser's
>> cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>
> The home page currently says:
>
>    " Everything on a Wikimedia site is available as Creative Commons
> material. "
>
> That is not true. Material includes:
>
> * PD content (copyright expires; US government, etc)
> * Fair-use copyright material.
>
> In the latter case, suggesting otherwise could be harmful to our users.

The text I cited has now been changed to "All text on Wikimedia sites
is available as Creative Commons material".

This does not resolve the issue I raised above; as my first bullet
point applies not only to media files, but also to numerous texts on
Wikimedia sites; not least a large part of Wikisource.

> Furthermore, the "Sesame Street" image used on the site's home page
> and the linked article, is labelled on Commons: "This work might not
> be available under a free license in the United States because it is
> based on an artwork or sculpture that may be protected by copyright
> under U.S. law."

This image is still on the pages I mentioned.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing