Hi Everyone,

The second abstract was cut short in the first email. Here is the full
version:

Deliberation and resolution on WikipediaA case study of requests for
commentsBy *Amy Zhang, Jane Im*Resolving disputes in a timely manner is
crucial for any online production group. We present an analysis of Requests
for Comments (RfCs), one of the main vehicles on Wikipedia for formally
resolving a policy or content dispute. We collected an exhaustive dataset
of 7,316 RfCs on English Wikipedia over the course of 7 years and conducted
a qualitative and quantitative analysis into what issues affect the RfC
process. Our analysis was informed by 10 interviews with frequent RfC
closers. We found that a major issue affecting the RfC process is the
prevalence of RfCs that could have benefited from formal closure but that
linger indefinitely without one, with factors including participants'
interest and expertise impacting the likelihood of resolution. From these
findings, we developed a model that predicts whether an RfC will go stale
with 75.3% accuracy, a level that is approached as early as one week after
dispute initiation.

--
Sarah R. Rodlund
Technical Writer, Developer Advocacy
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Developer_Advocacy>
srodl...@wikimedia.org

*“I am a jug filled with water both magic and plain; I have only to lean
over, and a stream of beautiful thoughts flows out of me.” *

― Bohumil Hrabal, Too Loud a Solitude