On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 00:34, effe iets anders <effeietsand...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pine,
>
> I would also suggest not to get overly bureaucratic with this :) If the
> public meeting you refer to requires a large attendance, the 14 days makes
> sense for example - but I cannot recall many meetings of that style.
> Rather, most meetings are either scheduled taking the availability of
> participants in mind, or it is to get input (where it is more important to
> have a bunch of people show up, than to have everyone participate).
>
> Whether more than one reminder is excessive, is imho quite subjective. I
> appreciate most reminders, especially if they stick to the same thread.
>
> On a side note: are there any weekly meetings being announced on this list?
> Again, it highly depends on the topic, and whether the reminder may also
> contain more information.
>
> My point? Don't worry about it so much :) Be flexible with this, and go
> with the flow. People can figure this out quite well if they use their
> common sense without added bureaucracy.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 1:50 PM Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Wikimedia-l and Wikitech-l,
> >
> > Keeping in mind the large numbers of subscribers on some Wikimedia email
> > lists, the endless valuable uses for the time of knowledgeable volunteer
> > Wikimedians, the significant financial costs for the time of many of the
> > staff and contractors on these mailing lists, and how packed calendars can
> > be, I propose that we implement a few social norms/guidelines for
> > Wikimedia-l and Wikitech-l in particular.
> >
> > 1. When planning to have a one-time public meeting, announce it at least 14
> > days in advance to give everyone who might like to participate that much
> > lead time to clear space on their calendars. Rarely is a one-time public
> > meeting so urgent that it cannot wait 14 days from the day that it is
> > announced.
> >
> > 2. Send a maximum of one reminder email regarding a one-time public
> > meeting, and also send a maximum of one reminder email regarding events
> > with deadlines such as Wikimania scholarship submissions or conference
> > presentation proposals. More than one reminder about a meeting or deadline
> > is excessive.
> >
> > 3. If extending a deadline, send only an announcement of the extension with
> > no additional reminder.
> >
> > 4. Send only one email to announce a recurring weekly meeting, with no
> > additional reminders. Meetings which recur less often, such as biweekly or
> > monthly, may continue to be announced with one additional reminder.
> >
> > At this time these are proposals only. Comments are welcome. If the
> > comments become extensive then I may request that we move the conversation
> > to Meta.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

Completely agree that this is a real problem, and that solving it is a
positive change rather than a "bureaucratic" one.

As a reminder for everyone who reads this list, it is defined as:[1]
Wikimedia Mailing List
Discussion list for the Wikimedia community and the larger network of
organizations (Wikimedia Foundation, chapter organizations,
affiliates, partners) supporting its work.

Let's agree to draw the common-sense distinction between having a
*discussion* and one-way *broadcasting* announcements, PR statements
and thankspam. This list is not intended for any of the latter, and
filling subscriber's inboxes with announcements rather than
interesting contemporary discussion is damaging this list and reduces
its subscriber base. This is probably a significant part of why
subscription and community engagement has been seriously dropping off
over the last few years.

I propose that we create a movement wide announcements list
(wikimedia-announcements) that is intended for broadcasting, rather
than discussion, and this list can be kept for discussion. If people
feel they need to send three announcements/reminders/changes for the
same meeting, then that can be okay on the announcements list, and
should be called out as misuse, or even hijacking, for this discussion
list. A simple change, and for those that wish to follow
announcements, makes it easy for them to be automatically filtered.

Links
1. https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l

Thanks,
Fae