"That hasn't been the case in the past when campaign goals are met."

The fundraising team has actively sought to reduce the impact that raising
donations has on readers. We covered this in a blog last year about the
2016 fundraiser:

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/10/03/fundraising-banner-limit/

We managed to reduce this again through last years fundraising and actively
curtailed the number and frequency of banners that our readers saw.

With regards to email we only send three fundraising asks to any one
individual as it stands which is a fraction of what most charities send to
their previous donors. In the case of last year we actually held off
sending the third fundraising email to a significant portion of individuals
precisely because we were reaching our campaign goal.

So I would argue this is actually the case and that if we can, we will.

Regards
Seddon

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:16 PM Nathan <nawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Deleting Wikipedia?" was the subject line of the e-mail I received as
> well. It also, as usual, included the claim that if enough donations were
> received the campaign would end early. That hasn't been the case in the
> past when campaign goals are met.
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 6:04 PM Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is a report from a user on Jimbo's talk page on ENWP regarding
> > receiving fundraising a fundraising email with the subject line "[NAME] -
> > Deleting Wikipedia?"
> >
> > In previous years I've disagreed with some of WMF's fundraising choices,
> > and it would be unfortunate if in the era of "fake news" becoming
> > mainstream WMF chooses to continue to be a part of the problem. If this
> is
> > happening then I request that WMF put a stop to it. Regardless of how
> > effective it is to send misleading fundraising appeals and that WMF has
> > received minimal repercussions for doing so over the years, it's wrong
> and
> > it should stop.
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*