Dear all,

I have some difficult news to share.

A few months ago and completely out of the blue, an opportunity came up for me
to exercise the full spectrum of my skills as the CEO of an early stage mission
oriented startup. It has been a mighty struggle between my commitment to my
team, the Foundation and  the movement and this opportunity to bring all my
skills to bear and build something from the ground up to do good in the world.
I will not lie to you - it has not been easy. But ultimately I decided that I
have to give it a go and I accepted the offer. I plan on starting there on Feb
4th so my last day at the Foundation will be Feb 1st.

These past two years have been amongst the most enjoyable in my professional
career. I’ve enjoyed getting to know the movement and what fuels it and I’ve
been incredibly privileged to work with a Tech team like no other. We have
together strengthened the technical infrastructure of the movement and while
much work remains to be done we have a much stronger team in place to take the
mission to the next level. And I have personally made friendships that will
last a lifetime.

The organization I will be moving to is Atlas AI, a public benefit corporation
supported by the Rockefeller Foundation. I will be leading an exceptional team
of AI and earth system science experts striving for improvements in human well
being through data driven insights. Our focus areas are drawn from the UN’s
sustainable development goals of no poverty and zero hunger with emphasis on
Sub Saharan Africa.

I leave behind a Technology department that I am certain is well on the way to
achieving our vision to create the infrastructure for the free knowledge
movement. I am also pleased that during my tenure, we have built leaders who
are equipped to take on this challenge.

Erika Bjune will be serving as interim CTO. Erika joined us a little over two
years ago and she has distinguished  herself as one of the finest people
leaders I have ever worked with. Both she and Katherine will have my ongoing
support — I will stay on in a consulting role to Erika on organizational
matters and for the mid term planning work we have ahead of us in the remainder
of the fiscal year.  I know that I am leaving the Tech team in good hands until
a permanent CTO is hired.

I want to close this difficult message with my heartfelt thanks to all of you
for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a Wikimedian is a
great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not walking away from something;
I am walking towards  something that is very  important to me and the world. I
will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a lot!

Victoria