Congratulations, Katherine!

Regards, Scott
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Scott_WorldUnivAndSch -

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 1:44 PM Philippe Beaudette <phili...@beaudette.me>
wrote:

> This is a common sense, reasonable update.  Nice work. :)
>
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:21 AM María Sefidari <msefid...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > When the Wikimedia Foundation was first established, the head of the
> > organization was assigned the title of Executive Director (ED). In the
> US,
> > this is the standard title for non-profit leaders, and made sense for the
> > organization at the time.
> >
> > This week, at our Board meeting, we made a decision to change to this
> > convention. We resolved to change Katherine Maher’s title to Chief
> > Executive Officer (CEO) and Executive Director. She retains the title of
> > Executive Director, and is also now the CEO of the Foundation. She can
> use
> > either, or both, titles to describe her position.
> >
> > This was an easy decision to make, for a number of reasons.
> >
> > As our movement has grown in the world, we’ve found that the title of ED
> is
> > not as easily understood outside the United States. As a Board with many
> > non-US people, many of us already used the term CEO to describe
> Katherine’s
> > responsibilities. While still an English-language term, it is a very
> common
> > term for many global organizations.
> >
> > The CEO title is increasingly common in US non-profits as well,
> especially
> > larger ones. This is increasingly considered best practice, as a way to
> > communicate that the work of non-profit organizations is as serious,
> > complex, and worthy of respect as that of for-profit organizations. For
> > example, Creative Commons, one of our closest allies, uses the title of
> > CEO.
> >
> > As the Foundation already uses the convention of “chief officer” for the
> > leaders of its internal departments (Chief Financial Officer, Chief
> > Technology Officer), it also makes sense. An executive director would be
> > the most senior director, whereas a chief executive officer is the most
> > senior of the officers.
> >
> > The Board’s Human Resources Committee recommended this change and
> reviewed
> > the details. As this is an update to Katherine’s title, and not a change
> in
> > her duties as an officer, it does not require an update to the Bylaws or
> > wider consultation.
> >
> > The Wikimedia Foundation’s Board of Trustees is very supportive of this
> > change, as we believe this title better reflects the scope of Katherine’s
> > duties over Executive Director alone. This will better support her work
> > with global partners and leaders around the world, helping to share our
> > vision and supporting the strategic direction of Wikimedia in new
> markets.
> > Katherine’s job is not changing in any other sense.
> >
> > Kind regards,

> [...]

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch
- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.