As Srishti says, community wishlist items tend to be very under-defined,
with open-ended and ambiguous deliverables, and exist in complex spaces.
These things are okay because the people handling them are professionals
who are trained specifically to distill open-ended projects into specific
deliverables, and because the contract with community wishlist items is
specifically *not* that the items will be done, but that the items will be
evaluated and responded to.

On the other hand, projects like GSoC are aimed at training and mentoring
people new to software development on best practices, coding paradigms, and
so on. The students need very well-defined, specific projects in order to
succeed, and wishlist items tend not to have these characteristics. Simply
funnelling wishlist items directly into GSoC would set up the participants
for failure.

So, some kind of refinement of the wishlist items is needed. Now, it
*is* possible
to distill certain wishlist items down into small, byte-sized, well-defined
GSoC projects, for sure. But that will take time, user research,
resourcing, etc. I think that's worth doing, but it is a resourcing
question, and we need to ask the question of what other work the product
folks will drop in order to make that happen.

Dan