Hello Itzik,

thanks for sharing this.

I actually did not want to react, because I presumably sound too critical
on this list in the last couple of years. However, 24h passed, and nobody
reacted, and It would be unfortunate if we let this go.

My own experience brought me to the same conclusions, even though I have a
very different background. I am a project contributor, highly active on
several WMF projects and having some advanced permissions there. I belong
to the category which became common to refer to as "unorganized volunteers"
(which we actually read as a derogatory name). I participated in the 2010
strategy consultation, which was pretty much community driven, and I liked
that one. My name is on the final document. However, I did not like the
current process from the very beginning. In the first stage, facilitators
were hired, and some of them genuinely wanted to do things but did not know
how to activate the communities, and others did not even make an effort. As
I already shared on this list, on one of the projects I am active in we
took the challenge seriously and formulated quite a few of strategic
directions - just to be told by the facilitator that this is not what we
were expected to do. The final document had no trace of our suggestions. I
was one of those who opposed the final document and signed for this on Meta
- about 70 people signed and were duly ignored. I was not looking forward
to the second round, but when I saw a call, I though "ok, I was criticizing
the process a lot, but did I do enough to fix it", and I applied. My
application was rejected, and a couple of days later there was a second
call stating that the first one did not get enough applicants. Then I was
sure I am happy that whatever final document would be there in the end is
no way my name could be associated with it. Whatever else would happen
around the strategy discussion this round, I am not going to be available
to help. The strategy discussion is smth that happens in a different
galaxy. The process is hopelessly broken and should have been killed at an
earlier stage. I know that a lot of people I respect (and quite a few I do
not) were and still are involved, but apparently the process design was not
appropriate from the very beginning.

I am generally very disappointed by an inability of many people at WMF and
thematic organizations to realize what "strategy" actually means.
Apparently, they really think that they are the movement, and volunteers at
the projects ("unorganized volunteers") would do what they decide for them.
We had already enough calls showing that the communities are not going to
do what they are told if they do not think it is reasonable. And if
somebody has forgotten the Wikitravel story, which tells us what happened
if you push volunteers too much, it could be useful to read it again. I
have an impression that some people really forget where their salary is
coming from, that other people are working for free, and if they stop
working for free, there is not going to be any salary any more. And if you
can not understand what communities want, then you need to ask again, and
not just write a few generic sentences and take it to another level. There
are enough real challenges before the movement which, if inappropriately
handled or not responded to, can just kill the whole Wikimedia universe. To
write a text in which a lot of money and a lot of time is invested but
which is not even specific about anything is not one of them.

And if you ask me I would say that the strategy can not be determined
solely by people who are not working in projects on a daily basis.

Cheers
Yaroslav