Because the Wikimedia Foundation doesn't make long term strategic decisions
based off of a 4 person discussion on a mailing list.

I really don't know why people keep being surprised by this.

Seddon

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 6:11 PM Fæ <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw a recent size estimate of Wikimedia Commons of just over 200 TB.
> That's large but not astronomical.
>
> With a bit of guesstimation, the hardware only cost of creating a
> Wikimedia projects digital tape archive might be around $2,000 per
> archive set, a cost that probably would only be once a year. Using
> off-the-shelf kit, a similar archive on a set of 10 TB hard disks
> might end up being double that cost. Archives like this are good for a
> few years, but in practice a plan would have them periodically tested
> and refreshed, unless they are being replaced every year with the
> latest archive.
>
> It is unclear to me why the WMF would not want to make a hearty
> transparent and public commitment to off-site archives. At least with
> an independently managed archive in another country, that at least
> makes it possible that in some bizarre scenario where an extremist US
> government makes it a federal crime to fail to either 'amend' the
> Wikimedia database against the values of the WMF, or legally orders
> the WMF to take down its websites in order to control certain
> publications, videos or photographs, that WMF employees can
> appropriately comply with US federal law, but are not be required to
> do anything about the public archive hosted by a different
> organization in another country. If such an unlikely scenario came to
> pass (and the unexpected seems to becoming something to realistically
> plan for these days), at least the archive could be resurrected for
> public access within a few weeks by open knowledge organizations who
> have staff that would never be subject to federal law in the US.
>
> If the WMF honestly does not already do something like this already,
> and wanted to earmark the relatively trivial sum of $10,000/year for
> remote archives, us volunteers would be happy to approach a couple of
> suitable national-level partners in Europe that could easily
> physically host the archives each year and would probably like the
> idea of blogging about it, as protecting open knowledge fits their
> values and commitments.
>
> Any WMF board members interested in asking some questions internally,
> if the WMF senior management are unwilling to answer this rather
> simple question publicly?
>
> Thanks,
> Fae
> --
> fae...@gmail.com https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>
> On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 14:36, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think that raising the question here is fine. I also think that it is
> > more WMF's responsibility to be responsive than community members'
> > responsibility to guess where and how to ask questions.
> >
> > In general (this is not intended as a criticism of you, Dan) my view is
> > that WMF has a very mixed record on responsiveness. Some employees and
> > board members repeatedly go above and beyond the call of duty, while
> other
> [...]

Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*