I've been playing with an idea that a a kind of batch script could be
applied to an image, and then the result of the processing becomes the
image to display, but the real image is not changed at all. Someting
like magick-script in a tag-function.[1] I have not checked how secure
it would be, but MediaWiki already use the ImageMagick package.

[1] https://imagemagick.org/script/magick-script.php