Sure, if you want to see it through that lens I guess you could argue such.
However, just to put things in perspective: 1) if a group has more active
cores, maybe they should be more broadly represented in Berlin. Maybe these
constructs shouldn't be necessary. 2) No matter how much some care about
the ASBS, I doubt that this will be a driving force to get more bureaucracy
(because that is the cost of setting up a UG). 3) funding for local
activities is probably not really a consideration in the case of Russia,
where foreign funding is (to put it mildly) 'complicated'.

Lets assume for the sake of the discussion that the group has legitimate
reasons to request affiliate status (although I have my assumptions, I'm
curious what tipped the scale).

Lodewijk