Back to the original question (which is an interesting and worthwhile one,
surely applicable to many events across the movement), I would hope that
the WMF has some ability to provide guidance on these matters, or failing
that, the committees who have put together other conferences (e.g.,
WikiCite, WikiConference, etc. etc.) The WMF used to do some detailed work
on this, though my information is now nearly a decade out of date, I'm
pretty confident they still do. I'd suggest reaching out to the grants
folks at WMF and asking if they can pull something together.

Pete
--
User:Peteforsyth