Even at the scale of the WMF, the costs of offset would not be high.
At the scale of individual travellers where a typical trip would cause less
than 1 tonne of emissions, and offsets available already at the 1$/tonne
price range and below - I would argue that if you or your organisation has
the resources to pay for your flight, you are likely to be able to afford
offsetting your emissions.

In any case, buying offsets or going climate neutral in other ways does not
preclude us contributing to knowledge about climate change - it is merely
one of the ways of being good global citizens (like paying taxes,
respecting copyrights, insisting on inclusive spaces).

Best regards,
Bence