A few updates from the last few months:

* The surveys successfully ran for one week. We were able to gather 63,000
this at Wikimania in August and have now added the high-level results to
Meta:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour/Demographics_and_Wikipedia_use_cases#June_2019_Results

* More data will be added to the results there as we can validate it.
Specifically, I am hoping to publish country-specific results where we have
sufficient responses as well as data regarding the cross-tabulation of
various questions from the survey and aspects of reader sessions.

* We are currently running a longer survey with lower sampling rates to
test if we are able to reach less-frequent readers of Wikipedia and whether
this changes any of our results. When we have analyzed this information, we
will update the results to indicate whether anything changes.

Best,
Isaac

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 4:17 AM Leila Zia <le...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> An update on this thread:
>
> * We have launched the survey on 2019-06-26 in 15 languages and we
> intend to stop the surveys 7 days after launch time. The current flow
> of responses is as expected.
>
> * The participating languages are: ar, de, en (sampling from all
> countries), en (sampling from countries in Africa), es, fa, fr
> (sampling from all countries), fr (sampling from countries in Africa),
> he, hu, no, ro, ru, uk, zh. (A big thank you to the volunteers in
> these language communities who worked with us to make the translations
> and announcements on village pumps happen.)
>
> * Please watch
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Characterizing_Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour/Demographics_and_Wikipedia_use_cases
> if you're interested to receive updates about the research as we go
> through the analysis. (Please expect, roughly, a monthly update
> frequency. If we can do more frequently, we will.)
>
> * If you want the survey to run in your language community, there is a
> chance that we run the same survey in a few weeks time in a few of
> more languages. You can express your interest by adding a line item as
> the last row of the table in
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Characterizing_Wikipedia_Reader_Behaviour/Demographics_and_Wikipedia_use_cases#Interested_languages
> . Priority is given to languages who have signed up prior to this
> announcement. We can't guarantee that we can run these extra surveys.
>
> And one logistical announcement: As some of you know, Isaac Johnson
> from the Research team is working heavily on this stage of the
> research (demographics+motivation/needs). As a result, some or all of
> the future announcements about this stage of the research may come
> from him instead of me. :)
>
> Best,
> Leila
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 11:07 PM David Goodman <dgge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Peter, all of these would be useful .  The most useful of all would be a
> > list of those that have been deleted as drafts that were not improved
> for 6
> > months--I havre a partial list, but there is no easy way of screening
> it. A
> > spreadsheet with links to the deleted versions and to the google scholar
> > and worldcat records would be an enormous help--I became an admin 12
> years
> > ago specifically to rescue deleted articles, but there is no systematic
> way
> > of finding them.
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 1:33 AM Peter Southwood <
> > peter.southw...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> >
> > > David,
> > > Would your work be influenced by an analysis of the academic
> biographies
> > > which are most searched for that are not on Wikipedia yet? (assuming
> that
> > > such an targeted analysis was available)
> > > Cheers,
> [...]

Isaac Johnson (he/him/his) -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation