Thanks for sharing this, Andy. This appears to be a major governance
failure on the part of ICANN (sadly, not for the first time). I'm glad
Wikimedia is among the first orgs on this list.

I don't think it's too late to stop this, especially as all evidence
points to corrupt inside wheeling-and-dealing. I would normally not
link to El Reg, but the connections Kieren has dug up deserve further
investigation by more reputable outlets.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/20/org_registry_sale_shambles/

Utterly unacceptable attempt to enclose the commons. Please do help
continue direct attention to this.

https://savedotorg.org/

Warmly,

Erik