Hi everyone,

I wanted to share an overview of what’s been happening in movement
strategy and where things are at with the recommendations.

== Synthesizing the recommendations, writing group meeting ==
The work to refine the recommendations is advancing well. Members of
the writing group [1] came together in person in Berlin last week and
spent five energetic and successful days consolidating the 89
recommendations. They brought together overlapping ideas from amongst
the previous thematic areas with the aim of creating a coherent set of
recommendations.

A number of common areas for change were reflected in the 89
recommendations, and the writers assessed and clustered them around
these areas. The goal is to outline the overall direction of the
change and present one set that is clearly understood, implementable,
and demonstrates the reasoning behind each.

The clusters also address issues identified in phase 1 as well as
needs surfaced during the conversations with the movement between
March and September of this year. These areas for change include
improving coordination in our movement, skills and leadership
development, distribution of power and decision-making, and enhancing
user experience and infrastructure to help us move toward becoming the
essential support system of the ecosystem of free knowledge.

Beyond this, the group also worked on building a narrative that
outlines a common vision to see: where we’ve come from as a movement;
what is driving us toward change; and where we want to get to as a
movement – the recommendations will put forward a proposal for how we
arrive there.

In a highly collaborative atmosphere, the writers are now busy
refining their work and preparing a document with the synthesized
recommendations and the narrative that can be presented to the
movement. We are quite excited about this progress!

== Movement conversations next year ==
The synthesized recommendations will serve as the basis for the
upcoming round of movement conversations, which will run from
mid-January through February. The facilitated conversations will take
place on-wiki for the Arabic, French, German, Hindi, Spanish, and
Portuguese language communities, on English Wikipedia, Commons, and
Meta-Wiki, as well as through targeted outreach to additional language
communities and affiliate groups. This will be an opportunity for the
movement to review and respond to the recommendations before they are
finalized.[2]

We encourage you to take part and are looking forward to your input
next year, so please stay tuned for more details about how to do so.

Best wishes,
Nicole

P.S.: One of our Resource Allocation working group members and
writers, Daria Cybulska from Wikimedia UK, has written a wonderful
post about her experience, insights and challenges from the last 1.5
years on the process. Please note that this is an externally facing
piece, providing a very broad brush view of our movement. In line with
this, the piece does not go into detail about the complexities of
Wikimedia. Check it out! “Funding utopia when you’re already a free
knowledge utopia.”[3]

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Synthesis/Writers
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Overview/Timeline#Detailed_timeline_October_2019_to_June_2020
[3]
https://medium.com/a-funding-utopia/funding-utopia-when-youre-already-a-free-knowledge-utopia-8da9d8f12c3c

--
Nicole Ebber
Leiterin Internationale Beziehungen

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.