I remember bringing this up several years ago at Dutch Wikipedia, and from
what I recall, there were people that don't want the import function to be
active on their wiki for more fundamental reasons (they don't want old
versions to exist that were not created on their own wiki).

So I'm pretty sure that yeah, there would be people who are against a
sensible default.

It sounds like you want to do this as a workaround for poor access to
documentation (it's hard for people to figure out how the function works
and how to request stuff) - is that correct? If so, wouldn't it make more
sense to always link this kind of pages to a documentation page (ideally on
the same spot for all those special pages), and if the set of wiki's to
import from is empty, that we make that documentation even more explicitly
available?

Lodewijk