Dear all,

I wanted to share some news with you: the first version of the movement
strategy recommendations document has been published on Meta [1]. On behalf
of the movement strategy working groups and recommendation writers, I am
honored to present them to you. We ask you to please take a moment to read
through, review, and comment.

In 2017, we set about building the future we want, together. In 2020, your
fellow Wikimedians have written and shared a framework for how we can bring
to life our vision of becoming the essential support system of the
ecosystem of free knowledge.

== Review the recommendations ==

These recommendations are the result of 18 months of in-depth discussions
and consultation among global Wikimedia community members and research
into opportunities for our future. The volunteer working groups [2],
writing teams [3] and strategy liaisons [4] have all invested a significant
amount of energy into this, and I want to wholeheartedly thank each and
every person who contributed to creating this work.

I would like to encourage everyone to read this work. There are 13
recommendations (condensed from 89), accompanied by an explanation of the
principles [5] that underlie the recommendations, an outline of how these
recommendations work together [6], as well as an overview of how the
recommendations were produced and next steps [7].

The core of this material is online in Arabic, English, French, German,
Hindi, Portuguese, and Spanish. We also have an overview available in
Catalan, Dutch, Farsi, Hebrew, Polish, and Russian that offers a condensed
introduction to the recommendations material.

== Share your feedback ==

In order to produce a final document that is representative of and relevant
to the diverse project communities as well as groups and organizations that
make up our movement, we are calling on everyone to review the
recommendations and share their thoughts.

Specifically, we ask you to look at what impact these recommendations might
have on you and your group or community’s context. Discussions are
happening on-wiki in many languages, as well as in discussion groups on
other, off0wiki platforms, and within movement groups and structures.

This round of community conversations will run until the first week of
March [8]. After this five-week period, the Core Team will publish a
summary report of input from across affiliates, online communities, and
other stakeholders for public review. [9] Your input will play a role as
the recommendation writers finalize the strategy document, and move us
towards discussions around implementation.

You will find more information about the process in the FAQs [10], and
please direct any additional questions or remarks to the respective meta
pages.

Our movement is the sum of its parts. Each member brings to it invaluable
skills, expertise, and ideas to capture, collect, and share free knowledge.
And every single contribution made by every community member from the
beginning has helped us grow into the global, diverse, and unique movement
we are today.

I am honored to share this on behalf of everyone involved, and am looking
forward to insights from across the movement over the next few weeks.

Katherine

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
[2]