Hi all,

I am responding on behalf of the Foundation in my capacity handling movement
communications, including managing any campaigns on wikimediafoundation.org.

As others from the Foundation have stated on this mailing list in the past,
from time to time the Wikimedia Foundation engages in public policy matters
which are aligned with the advancement of the Wikimedia mission or our values
as an organization.

Having said that, we agree with some of the criticisms you have raised. We had
understood the Earth Day Live campaign to be both global and apolitical.
However, we agree that the final campaign was both more US-centric and more
political than we had understood in advance. The banner is no longer running,
and in the future we will do more thorough due diligence.

We remain strongly committed to climate sustainability as a value of the
Wikimedia Foundation. We will continue to advocate on behalf of it and other
values that uplift and advance free knowledge globally.

I hope you all had a productive and safe Earth Day, and wish you all continued
health and safety.

Yours,
-greg

-------