I have no doubt that on the long-term solutions will be found. Even if
structural data were IMHO presented and used poorly, the catalyzing effect of
them and Wikidata will be there. I am also in full support for the creation of
a parallel Commons for NC files as well, which will also speed up many
processes. I am not interested in some ideological stance about the matter, if
we can keep NC files locally, we can also on a general platforms, or we don't
keep them at all.

The point is that such solutions will never really originate from a big part of
the community of Commons (including part of OTRS), they simply cannot stem from
a community structured the way some users actively shaped it over the years,
encouraging a self-referential "righteous" vision. Think about what occurred
with Wikidata, I saw users being trolled for discussing about its future role
the beginning, but they were mostly right, I don't see the Commons users who
invented paranoid scenarios to justify their behavior even thinking about that
now.

I don't have time to protect the social roles of users who behave in such a
poor way. If I can solve things just going around them, I do so. It is a
failure, but it's not the fault of many among us. After I have to fix problems
from actions that could have simply being avoided with just a tiny amount of
good sense, I don't have time to discuss that there might be  a better way of
doing thing to users who will just ignore that and go to the first occasion to
reproduce the same behavior again, because they are even rewarded for that. It
takes me hours and I don't have any energy left, certainly not even to rename a
file, create a category or verify a license. I don't have even energy to
present it nicely to a third part who is witnessing that. I don't care how
certain users look, because they are the first ones who don't care about the
consequence of their actions.
Over the years, I am more convinced that the best solution is to let them go.
It does not matter if the backlog obviously increases. When we will be free to
set up more functional solutions, the backlog can be reduced quite easily. I
have therefore stopped many years ago to perform any actions outside my
projects and I am happy that way. I am sure I am not the only one. I am slways
happy to create tool outside of such bubble, of course, but not a lot inside it.

   Il domenica 17 maggio 2020, 20:14:49 CEST, Gerard Meijssen