To be honest, I actively discourage newbies to edit but also to upload on
Commons when they start. I prefer it when they focus on something else. If
needed, I can find enough files because of my expertise and that's a decent
starting point. Of course, I am active and soon or later uploading is a
necessary step during many partnerships or classes, but I always assume and
show the worst-case scenarios. You might think that such "cautious" attitude is
not the wiki spirit, and I agree, but I know also that these users are not
going to be helped, so it's mostly up to me to provide such support and I (like
many other ones) have limited time. I also would like to offer to those
potential long-term users a social ecosystem where they can grow and I am quite
sure that at the moment Commons is not the best platform to do so.

it's a little bit more subtle than being "toxic"... it's dysfunctional,
superficial, sloppy and unwarm. We have/had similar problems with other
platforms... it's just human nature. There are groups of "active" users
creating "bubbles" of realty where critical inputs from outside are dismissed
as annoying or unworth. What is unique with Commons is that on other platforms
this situation reduces/reduced contributions and, because of this reason, it
does/did not create a huge backlog. Less involved people, less work induced by
them. You get stagnation or hibernation if the situation is critical... but
that's it. However, Commons just cannot end that way. On Commons the missing
metadata, the generic categorizations, the partial descriptions, the necessary
updates of copyright guidelines are just there, and similarly is the ongoing
upload flow from other databases or initiatives because it is a nodal space. If
people are more active on Wikivoyage, Wikisource or organizing Wiki Loves
Monuments... this soon or later shows an effect and a backlog on this archive.

The community of Commons really needs a network of constantly involved users,
but such users can always end up being motivated somewhere else where they feel
that their needs are better understood.
A.M.

    Il mercoledì 20 maggio 2020, 18:49:06 CEST, Strainu <strain...@gmail.com>