Hello,

I share the Board's interest in many of these matters. However, I remind
the WMF Board that it exists to serve the Wikimedia community, not the
other way around. Also, I recommend that the Board take great care in
approaching these matters diplomatically and with appreciation for the
volunteers who spend considerable amounts of personal time developing and
protecting the Wikimedia projects, and who are not WMF's employees or
servants. I suggest to the WMF Board that a self-righteous tone is likely
to be counterproductive for its intended outcomes.

There have been enormous amounts of volunteer time already spent
considering and deliberating regarding civility and related complex issues.

I suggest to the Board that while being appropriately mindful of where
there are problems, the Board should also spend at least as much time
considering what is going well and expressing gratitude to the thousands of
volunteers who strive to protect Wikipedia and the sister projects.

I remind the Board that it is not the governing entity for the Wikimedia
community. The WMF Board governs the Wikimedia Foundation corporate entity.
The corporate entity exists to serve the community, not the other way
around.

I also remind the Board that ill-considered interventions may do more harm
than good. Goodwill is easy to destroy.

Pine