This is certainly a reasonable request, Fae, and I support it; there's no
reason not to forge ahead with this request.

However, for the benefit of anybody on this list who's not familiar, and
just to ensure that this point is in the record: there's a more complex
problem with the name of the "Ombuds* Commission".

According to Wiktionary, an ombuds* is expected to "investigate complaints,
generally on behalf of individuals such as consumers or taxpayers, against
institutions such as companies and government departments."

That is complaints rather broadly construed; in the Wikimedia case,
however, the remit of ombuds* is actually pretty narrow, as you described
in your initial message on this thread. The WMF does not have a clear,
unified entity to receive complaints more generally; so having a position
that is made up of volunteers, and has a much narrower remit, carry the
title "Ombuds" seems less than ideal.

I do not have a clear proposal for a solution at this point; just want to
be sure this point is made as long as we're on the topic.

That said, I agree...please go forth and fix the gender problem, post haste!

-Pete
--
[[User:Peteforsyth]] on English Wikisource, Wikipedia, Wikidata, etc. etc.