I always supported a more effective centralized policy for NC. I don't think
that will discourage organizations from adopting more free license per se, the
same way that adopting certain NC material on local Wikis did not so far. it's
not an absolute consequence, it's how you do it.

At least, we should start centralizing that non-free material locally uploaded
since it's already there. I would like logos of Universities and coat of arms
of public administration and doubtful old images that according to some
platforms are free but for Commons are not (gray areas), to be on a NC part of
Commons, or a dedicated platform (i always link
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/NonFreeWiki and
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/NonFreeWiki_(2). it's just more rational.

If we did so, we could start from there and see where it goes. We will have a
list of established exceptions (that we accept already, just locally), we can
add few more ones. it's not a definitive solution, it's a process that we
should face together.

I think specifically we should accept NC if it's better than what it is
currently available from the uploader. For example if an artist give us a
reproduction of its artwork in NC for Wikipedia, is it still better than
nothing? Are we really sure he would have done something in any case if we did
not provide such options? We probbaly all suspect it's the max we can can get
to the world in that scenario. This approach for example will not apply to the
case of WHO, in their case is not a clear improvement, so no upload.

If you put a limited group of users in charge of that process, or some funnel
step in the procedure, it will never be massive, but it might be targeted and
useful, IMHO.
Alex

    Il domenica 12 luglio 2020, 02:33:04 CEST, James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com>