Hi all,

I’m writing to share an update on the Wikimedia Foundation’s Annual Plan
for the 2020-2021 fiscal year. Usually, by this point in the year we would
have already presented the plan to the Board for approval, and shared the
approved Annual Plan and strategic priorities for the coming year on Meta.
However, this year has been anything but normal. As Nataliia shared in the
Board minutes from April [1], the Board approved a revised timeline for
annual planning due to the pandemic.

Starting in March, our annual planning process shifted to include rigorous
scenario planning based on the potential social and financial impacts of
COVID-19. As the global economic outlook became more uncertain, we wanted
to ensure that we were in the best possible position to support our
communities and projects. While this does mean that our Annual Plan has
been delayed, the good news is that it allowed us time to collect more
information about how to secure the long term health and sustainability of
this movement even during crises.

This year’s Annual Plan continues to deliver on the Foundation’s
medium-term plan[2], our next milestone in achieving the Wikimedia 2030
Strategic Direction to become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem
of free knowledge[3]. I will be presenting our FY20-21 Annual Plan to the
Board of Trustees at their meeting in late September, and we will then post
the Board-approved Annual Plan on Meta in October to share with the
community and allow for clarifying questions.

Thank you for your patience. I look forward to sharing the final plan with
you in the coming months

Take care,
Katherine Maher

Executive Director,