Thanks a lot for your work Amir, this is really wonderful.

When organizing online events over the past 6 months, we often had the
problem of finding a discussion tool that would be altogether open source,
hosted on our own servers, complying to local laws (GDPR for Europe), and
having some modern features that are missing on IRC. I think that
Mattermost is a great answer to that, and I hope that your efforts will be
supported by other volunteers and WMF.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with our instance during upcoming
events :)

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 02:01, Amir Sarabadani <ladsgr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related discussion
> groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides being
> scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
>
> IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities of
> a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost instance
> in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
>     * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
>     * Push notification and email notification
>     * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
>     * Proper support for sharing media
>     * Two factor authentication
>     * A proper mobile app support
>     * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
>     * Profile pictures
>     * Ability to ping everyone with @here
>     * much much more.
>
> You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone
> can
> make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
>
> Some notes:
> * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a group
> of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a message.
> * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public are
> covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
>
> Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> file a bug in the phabricator.
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
>
> Best
> --
> Amir (he/him)

Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für