I strongly disagree. There's no "reasonable person" standard in which
anything I said would be found offensive. I'm frequently sought out by
professors as a *mentor* for journalism students and we talk about issues
such as this. I'm no shock jock.

If anything, this spell highlights one of the fundamental dangers with a
UCoC that ought to be avoided. An information community that defines
acceptable discourse by the most offended is one in which the principles
are toothless, the growth anemic. Information, by its very essence, will
offend many people. A group that comes to a screeching halt become someone
compared the *actions* of an *organization* to flatulence in mild terms is
a group that cannot but fail to be productive at any task beyond the
blandest of triviality.

I should note that I have nothing in principle against a UCoC. My main
philosophical disagreement is one being imposed, with the community that
built and energized the movement being considered an inferior partner, and
I'm using the word "partner" very optimistically. The basic reality is that
community consultations have proven over the last year to have the same
efficacy as consulting with the knife-bearer in an alley about the proper
ownership of your wallet. A fart -- or even the scandalous further
disclosure that Everybody Poops -- shouldn't derail from the basic issues
at play involving the WMF's actions and its stunning lack of comity in this
and similar situations.

I'll cut off this dreary logorrhea now, to return to pondering whether I
should be amused or bemused about the whole affair. I never thought that
the first time someone would try to wash my mouth out with soap would be
when I was 42.

Cheers,

Dan