Hi all,

I hope this email finds you well.

I'm reaching out to let you know that the Research team [1] at the
Wikimedia Foundation has been working on developing a taxonomy of
knowledge gaps for the Wikimedia projects. We now have the first draft
of the taxonomy ready and we're seeking your input to improve it.

==Why are we contacting you?==
The taxonomy of knowledge gaps aims to be a high level representation
and grouping of the different knowledge gaps Wikimedia projects face
today. Each of you, whether you are a volunteer editor, patroller,
organizer, affiliate, etc. have valuable on the ground knowledge of
the different types of knowledge gaps. We believe it's important to
hear from you before we finalize the taxonomy.

==Material==
The material you may need to review is listed at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#Learn_more!
. I will list them below as well, for archive completeness:

* A summary of the taxonomy and motivation:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Knowledge_Gaps_Taxonomy_Summary-and-Motivation.pdf

* Full paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2008.12314

* A video presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP3uXA9bfvU or
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Knowledge_Gaps_Taxonomy.mp4.webm
(same video on two platforms)

==Feedback==
Please provide your feedback by answering the 6 questions posted at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Knowledge_Gaps_Index/Taxonomy#Feedback_collection_September_2020
.

We're collecting feedback until 2020-09-30.

==Talk with us==
If you have questions about the taxonomy and you'd like to talk with
us in a synchronous set-up, we invite you to join us in the upcoming
Research Showcase
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase#September_2020
. We will have a very short presentation about it and will leave 15-20
min for any questions you may have. We are also happy to set up more
time to answer your questions if there is demand for it.

==Disclaimer==
As you're going through the material we have shared with you, you will
see imperfections and rooms for improvement. I acknowledge that they
exist and they may be numerous. We could spend another month and
improve the documents. We made the call to not let perfect be the
enemy of good. Please keep that in mind, assume good faith, and ask
questions if any part of what you read is not clear to you. We're here
to engage and answer your questions, and ultimately learn about your
perspective.

Thank you!

Leila, on behalf of
Martin Gerlach, Research Scientist, WMF
Isaac Johnson, Research Scientist, WMF
Miriam Redi, Senior Research Scientist, WMF
Leila Zia, Head of Research, WMF

[1] https://research.wikimedia.org/team.html