> the WMF also does not "administer Wikipedia", a mistake they have made for
> the second time now.

a very risky mistake too, hope legal is taking note as it also demonstrates
why its necessary to have a practical and public difference in naming
between Wikimedia and Wikipedia

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 17:38, Yair Rand <yyairr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> as the bylaws change, and yet again violated the Board's rules about
> publishing resolutions within a week, for the at least 19th time in the
> past year, out of 24 known resolutions.)
>
> (Also, contrary to the recent WMF blog post on the UCoC, the WMF also does
> not "administer Wikipedia", a mistake they have made for the second time
> now.)
>
> -- Yair Rand
>

> ‫בתאריך יום ג׳, 2 בפבר׳ 2021 ב-21:34 מאת ‪Risker‬‏ <‪risker...@gmail.com
> ‬‏>:‬
>
>> While I often agree with you, Yair Rand, in this case I think you're
>> mistaken.  Aside from the long-ago "community vote" on licensing (which was
>> pretty much required based on the prior licensing scheme), every
>> Wikimedia-wide policy has been authorized by the WMF Board of Trustees.
>> That includes the terms of use and the privacy policy.  As the technical
>> owners of the infrastructure, the WMF Board does have the right (if not the
>> responsibility) to identify the manner in which the websites it supports
>> and hosts can be used, and I think this principle is actually pretty widely
>> held, at least in the abstract (i.e., hosting organizations can and should
>> apply standards on the services they host). In every policy-related case
>> that I have reviewed going back to the very earliest days, there has been
>> at least some level of community discussion, and there have always been
>> detractors of every policy the Board has approved; that has not made the
>> policies either invalid or unworkable.
>>
>> I've never been convinced that including a mixture of required,
>> forbidden, and aspirational standards all in one document is a good idea,
>> and I personally struggle to see how including essentially unenforceable
>> aspects of the UCoC will do anything other than weaken the effectiveness of
>> rest of the document.  For example, I cannot imagine anyone being
>> sanctioned in any way for "failure to thank" or "failure to mentor",
>> although both of these are considered expectations in the "Civility"
>> section; and one thing that a Uniform Code of Conduct would logically have
>> is a uniform enforcement scheme.
>>
>> Nonetheless, I do believe that it is within the Board's scope and
>> responsibility to approve this and other global policies designed to
>> protect the WMF, the projects, the users of the websites, and the content
>> managers/editors/etc (what we often call "the community").
>>
>> Risker/Anne
>>

>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 at 17:28, Yair Rand <yyairr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The community has not approved the WMF's UCoC. It is not a Wikimedia
>>> policy, it is not binding, it has no authority. The WMF does not control
>>> the Wikimedia projects, and has no jurisdiction in this area.
>>>
>>> The community rejected this over and over again. It is harmful that the
>>> Board is pretending they can do this unilaterally.
>>>
>>> -- Yair Rand
>>>
>>> ‫בתאריך יום ג׳, 2 בפבר׳ 2021 ב-6:59 מאת ‪María Sefidari‬‏ <‪

GN.

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2021
August
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra