Dear Ad,

Thank you for being a part of Affiliate-Selected Board Selection 2019
facilitators — organising a selection process is not an easy task. And
thank you for sharing your concerns about the process so far. I would like
to clarify and explain some things below.

First, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, as a board of a legal
entity, must decide how we select board members. Legally we cannot let a
third party decide for us, even if that third party is the Wikimedia
movement. This is why we are involving the movement in this call for
feedback, to inform the decision that the Board will make. The Board
believes requesting community feedback about how to fill Board seats is the
right thing to do, as is sharing our reasoning for why we are changing our
approach. After the Bylaws community review last October, we committed to
organising another feedback round with more time, focusing on the trustee
selection pathways [1]. This is that other round.

It is also important to note that deciding deep changes in how the Board
selects members is not in the scope of the Elections Committee mandate [2].
We count on them, but we cannot delegate this task to them completely.

Also, just for clarity, the Affiliate-Selected Board Selection 2019 (ASBS
2019) facilitators were organised for a specific purpose, which all of you
completed successfully by the end of that election. But there is no ASBS
standing committee — and there never was. The debrief of ASBS 2019 that you
shared has been informative and appreciated as well, and was the end of
your work. It was therefore inappropriate and misleading to offer your
personal opinion “on behalf of the ASBS committee”, I assure you, we
respect your opinion as it is, without you trying to add additional weight
to it.

About the current process: volunteers (the Board) are leading it, the staff
is supporting it. The staff does not decide, the board will make a decision
based on the feedback.

The Board has requested to have more venues for collecting feedback, thus a
team of multilingual facilitators connected with the communities in
multiple regions is reaching out to wiki projects and affiliates to ensure
that their perspectives are captured in this call for feedback. As a key
stakeholder, we are inviting the Elections committee to participate as
well. We think that input is important. Volunteers who served in the 2019
Affiliate-Selected Board Selection are also important, and we invite you to
participate as well.

This call for feedback has started and conversations have begun; many more
conversations are being scheduled. We invite you to join these, and take
advantage of its process and its facilitators. Bring your ideas, mobilise
your peers, and help promote this call among volunteers, projects and
affiliates who haven’t been involved in governance conversations before. We
are hoping to gather input widely from across the movement to ensure that
ideas are shared and considered from community members with diverse
experience and backgrounds to help build a strong Wikimedia Foundation
Board.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/January_2021_-_Approval_of_Bylaws_amendments_and_upcoming_call_for_feedback_about_the_selection_of_new_trustees

[2] https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
Vice Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*